The innovation in SIAB is the ‘Sum of the Parts’. There are four connected elements that constitute the innovation in SIAB.
- The portable solar panel that powers a 12v lithium battery.
- The passive connected hardware technology, the iPad 2, Pico Projector and Speakers that runs off the solar powered battery delivering the learning content.
- The pre-installed curriculum.
- The ability of the solar powered iPad 2 to deliver customized curricula and crucially, learning content that is locally driven and rich in multimedia.
SIAB is a mobile solar powered system and solution that can deliver rich multimedia teaching and learning content in schools and classrooms where there is no access to electricity. It allows delivery and deployment of ICTs in multigrade and single grade classrooms and can be used anywhere in the world.
At the heart of the system is an Apple iPad 2 with a user friendly pre-installed curriculum. In addition to a number of cables and connectors the five main technology components in SIAB are:
- Collapsible foldaway solar panel which charges (via an MPPT quick charging controller)
- 12v lithium battery that powers
- Apple iPad 2 which is connected to
- Mini Pico projector
- Portable speakers.
The solar power harnessed can fully charge the connected system (Apple’s iPad 2 + Projector + Speakers) over a five hour period. A second lithium battery is charged outside which ensures an additional power source is available throughout the day to deliver rich multimedia interactive learning content which can be updated locally, online and offline. The quick-charging controller which tracks variations in the current and voltage produced by the solar panel ensures a maximum charge rate for the battery. The 40W solar panel weighs just over 2 kg and folds down to the size of an A4 sheet of paper. The lithium battery has an inverter output as well as a USB port. Other standard accessories include a cigarette lighter plug and DC to AC inverter.